Friday, June 13, 2008

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really. ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull

Dear Elder Hanson.
 
As I wrote you the short note last night (Stockton not doing well) Stockton’s situation just got worse, he continued to be uncomfortable, to the point that he could not even lay down.
 
I was up all night with him because he did not want to be alone; I had a golf tee time at six with Grandpa, Jason Taylor, John Hammond and myself. So I went and played nine holes. When I arrived home, Stockton had thrown up a couple of times and he was struggling for breath.
 
We tried to get an appointment with the Vet, but they were full and could not see him till tomorrow. So we went to Cottonwood Vetrinary Hospital. (Where I took him when he ate all of your Easter chocolate) Shelly and I were there while they got his records from Hillside, the Doctor examined him, as I suspected, his spleen had indeed ruptured, and he was bleeding internally and his lungs were full of fluid. The doctor chatted with us about possible treatments but we all knew that he was too sick for any treatment.




Stockton peacefully slipped away around eleven AM Thursday, June 12, 2008. We (except for you and Beth) were there touching him, crying and watched him leave this life. What a great life of giving and love he gave our family. Our house is so quite,  no more announcements at the door, no more climbing on our laps, jumping on beds, or just plane making us laugh.


I must say this has been the worse day of my entire life! Words cannot express the loss and amount of sadness I feel. Without a doubt Stockton was my unconditional best friend, I am happy that we were there for the end. He was able to look at us as he slipped away.  
 
The Doctor brought him back in box, Nate and I dug a grave in the back yard by the swing set just in view of our bedroom window. Shelly wrapped him up in one of his blankets. Covered him up and we said goodbye.




I am sorry to not have anything positive to say here, because I am filled with the emptiness of loosing my very best friend. I truly feel that we will be together again, but for now, I am very sad for the loss in our family. And the loss of Stockton in our house, I know that we will adjust, but, things are really quiet. After we buried him, we gathered up his things, his blankets, toys, pills, bowls, and made some memory notes of what we remembered about Stockton,
 
I suggested that on the one year anniversary of his death, that we gather around the table, take the stuff out and remember the joy he gave us.


So with that, I close this letter,

Love you,

DAD