Saturday, February 16, 2008

Hoover Dam

This is some of what we saw on the tour inside the Hoover Dam. 
There's a tiny man off to the left of these giant terbines and if you can find him that gives you a pretty good idea how big these things are!
This tube is so big it can hold two Grey Hound buses side by side! I think the color green I picked up is pretty cool too.This is the view from one of the vents in the Dam (Look at the bottom picture of the dam and you'll see a white dot about 1 inch from the bottom of the picture; that's the vent I took this picture from)
One of the hallways we walked through. again, more cool color!
This stator goes inside of one of those turbines in the top picture.
There are two of these bronze sculptures done by Oskar J.W. Hansen that you can see on the Nevada side of the dam symbolizing in Mr Hansens opinion "a collective genius exerting itself in community efforts around a common need or ideal." He compared the dam to such works as the Pyramids of Egypt, and said that while viewing these man made structures, the viewer often asks of their builders, "What manner of men are these?" 

Although I didn't retain much information it was worth the money we spent for the full tour. The Hoover Dam is an awesome sight when you know the story of the hard working men who spent years building  it. (See the slide show for more pictures.)