Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I went to a funeral today

Today I went to the funeral of Bonnie Padfield. I believe she was 65 years old. She and her husband Alden were married 47 years. Their anniversary is September 11th.

Who is Bonnie to me? No one close.

we've met a time or two and she's a sweet lady. Bonnie is my sister-in-law Stacey Hansons Mother. The funeral was touching. Three daughters telling great stories about a woman they love, respect and I believe, try to emulate. Their stories were very similar when it comes to what they remember most, so it must be true; all the qualities Bonnie had. I was impressed and touched.

I cried.

I have to admit, it made my mind wander, as I'm sure funerals do for lots of people, of my parents. Will I be as strong and calm, as Stacey and her sisters were today? Do I tell my parents how much I love them, not just "love you, good-bye" on the phone? Do I call them just to talk as often as I should? Am I building a relationship with them now, so I won't regret the time lost because of the miles between us or our busy lives?

And then I thought of Alden. 47 years. Man! Engaged the night of their graduation. Together since 11th grade.

He has a picture of his sweetheart that has been in his wallet since they were married. He showed it to the gathering with pride at the cemetery.

I couldn't help but notice; and forgive me Stacey if I'm wrong, But he looked a little lost. I think I would be too if I found myself without my companion. Monday will be a hard day for him.

Alden looks a little bit like my Dad. I watched him a lot today. He has a lot of support. Family and Friends.

I'm glad I got the chance to be there to support Stacey and Scott and their kids, but I'm grateful for the opportunity it gave me to ponder my own relationship with my parents; all 3 of them. I love them.