Monday, August 31, 2009

Blue Lacy or Texas Lacy

As some of you may know, one of my many jobs for the City of Cottonwood Heights is Pet Licensing. The dog breeds I see most are Lab's of all colors, Border Collie's, Mini Schnauzer's, Shih Tzu's, and Poodle's of all sizes. Those are the top 5 for Cottonwood Heights. So when I see a breed name I've never heard of before I look it up.


Today, it was the Blue Lacy. When I looked it up I found that there are few different names for this breed but i'm not sure why. If any of you knows, I'd love to hear the answer. Blue doesn't seem to have much to do with the color because I noticed quite a few different colors on the website.

http://lacydog.com/Default.aspx


The Blue Lacy is a breed of working dog that originated in Texas in the mid 1800s, the only dog breed to have originated in that state. The Lacy was first recognized in 2001 by the Texas Senate. In Senate Resolution No. 436, the 77th Legislature honored the Lacy as "a true Texas breed"; In June 2005, Governor Rick Perry signed the legislation adopting the Blue Lacy as "the official State Dog Breed of Texas."

I thought that was kinda cool actually! It's a good looking dog.


See...you can learn something new everyday Cowboy!