Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Saturday is a special day it's the day we get ready for ...CLIMBING BIG ROCKS!


See this first picture? That's the top. see the water down below? That's the bottom. Ok, now that we have that straight, an hour or so before that picture was taken we were at "the bottom". We climbed up this steep, rocky spot called hole in the rock, whick isn't really a hole, just a very steep very narrow slit in the rock. Hole-in-the-Rock is the name given by Mormon settlers in 1879 (the San Juan Mission) to a short, steep valley leading towards the Colorado River, the only breach for many miles in the otherwise vertical cliffs of Glen Canyon that constituted an almost impassable barrier between the then unsettled lands in southeast Utah. Even here there was a sheer cliff to overcome, and 6 weeks of labour was needed to construct a route down which the wagons of the party could pass. Quite a bit of this route is now submerged below the cold waters of Lake Powell. Can I just say after climbing up and down this thing I don't see how the pioneers did it with wagons and horses and small children and women in dresses! I would not have made a good Pioneer. The paragraph in blue was taken from www.americansouthwest.net I don't use big words like that on purpose.

This is Jon say(Yawn) he's from California making his way around the U.S. on this great BMW motorcycle. Mike was hoping it was Neil Peart for any of you that know the band Rush and Neils book Ghost rider. Mike got a little giddy when he saw the bike. Sorry baby, it's just Jon. We chatted with him for awhile, He took our picture and we got his. Neat experience. It was good to meecha Jon!



After we made it down we had a nice swim and lunch and took off for Rainbow Bridge. now the last time I was there I was a kid and we didn't walk to it, we road right up to it by boat. Alot has changed since they started draining the lake, but it's still just as BEAUTIFUL!